Monday, November 14, 2005

Is the devil gay?

Gay priests struggle with serving the church

It was not until this moment when I realized why in Southpark they make the devil gay. Christians believe that being being gay is inherently evil. Why waste time on world hunger and poverty in your community when you can pass laws that ruin peoples lives because you judge them to not be human like you are.

I do not want to rage and say that all Christians believe that gay people are evil. But the leaders of the Christian Church should focus on other things like divorce rates, hunger, illness, and injustice in the world. I am pretty sure, and confident that Jesus does not care if you are gay. And if I am wrong I guess I am going to hell.

Estimates of the number of gays in U.S. seminaries and the priesthood range from 25 percent to 50 percent, according to a review of research by the Rev. Donald Cozzens, a former seminary rector and author of The Changing Face of the Priesthood.

I hope that priests start "outing" gay bishops so that the Christian world can opentheirr eyes for once in a while instead ofengineeringg the world around them.

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger Richard said...

It makes me happy to see you get so riled up about this, Jon. I don't take all the credit for anyone's beliefs, but I do take heart in seeing how soundly so many of my friends disapprove of anti-gay activities, whether they come from the government, businesses, or churches.

The Catholic example is especially hurtful to me because I was raised Catholic. I stopped attending Mass when I realized I was gay and have only been back twice since, for a baptism and for Brian's wedding. I don't anticipate setting foot in a Catholic church again except to attend weddings, funerals, and baptisms.

While I don't literally believe in the teachings of the church anymore--divinity embodied in a man, virgin birth, and all that--or agree with many of the Vatican's positions on issues from birth control to homosexuality, it does make me sad that rather than serving as a place of comfort for me, the church I attended every Saturday or Sunday for 15 years now seems like a place of violence to me.

Nothing will bring me back, but there are kids growing up Catholic today who will be tomorrow's outcasts from the church because of acts like the one the Vatican is scheduled to take later this month. That makes me very sad. I hope that American Catholics can preserve the beauty and mystery of their liturgical experience--and ditch all the Vatican pronouncements that are ruining their church.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home