Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Savage Christian Love

Savage Love

So last night I brought Dan Savage to the school to give his talk on sex advice and homosexuality. He was seriously one of the best speakers I have brought to the school since being here. He of course gave the audience cards to write down questions about their sex life, since he is a sex advice columnist, and he also talked a lot about homosexuality and religion. I am a religious person, but believe nothing the bible says about homosexuality. The tone I got from him, and a lot of people in the audience is that they are very angry for how they treat homosexuality. So my question is, how do I deal with this as a Christian? I do not want to stop being a Christian, because that is not the answer, but I also do not know what it will take for Christianity to change on this topic.

That was the question I wrote on my card to Dan during the program, and he did not know how to answer it. I do not know how to answer that either. It is so depressing to me that Christianity is wasting its time on this topic. Sometimes I think it would take Jesus to come back and tell people that discriminating against anyone or anything is a sin. But then again he has already said that. This topic is going to bite the Christian community in the ass in the next 10 years.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help people stop being afraid. I understand Jesus as telling Christians to love everyone and treat people well. But if people fear homosexuals they are going to have a hard, if not impossible, loving them. Help people face their fears--the only reason I can think that people would fear homosexuals is because they are afraid they are one too. Fear is the opposite of love. Help people let go of their fear and then they can begin to love.

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I just look at it and see that the Bible says I can't eat pork and should have slaves. Christianity has dismissed those, so why do we cling to the homosexuality part? Jesus says to "Love one another" and no this isn't supposed to mean free love 60's style, but rather respect and care for everyone. He said it was the greatest commandment, so I use that as a compass for my life.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, it's lauren. I had to comment, theology major and all. The Bible also says we should bash babies heads against rocks. I'm a Christian, I'm a Catholic, I go to a Catholic school. Our school has a very active club for homosexuals and any ally who wants to join. Its called Common Ground. (I love that name.) Many of the sisters that run my school are extremely active and supportive of the club. The theology club holds events with them all the time. Catholic means universal, itsn't funny that "Catholics" refuse to be universal. The church, does not mean the white men with beards who sit in Rome. It is the people and if the people love and worship God who cares what color their skin is, or who they love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home