Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Truth Hurts

An Inconvenient Truth



Last night Lisa, Rob, and I went to go see Al Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth. If you get past Al's very boring voice, it is a very powerful movie. The movie is very academic in the sense that it is him giving a slideshow about global warming almost the whole time. Other parts of the movie give his personal story on how he became motivated about this issue. And of course he slams both Bush administrations whenever he can in the movie.

The movie is pretty upsetting if you think about it. His main point is that we are now in a period of consequences, and each year those consequences are going to get worse. The biggest problem that the world could face in the next 50 years in Greenland melting. This would raise the sea levels around the world by 20 feet at least. If that does not seem possible to you, look it up on the internet, or watch this movie. He really comes down hard on how the US produces the most green house gases than any other country. He also goes on to explain that our auto industry standards for fuel efficiency at this moment are lower than any other country's including China. He ends the movie on a good note, explaining how we could lower the level of green house gases to what they were in the 70's if each one of us did our part.

Go to the website on the link above, it will take you to a test in which you can see how much carbon emissions you use each year. The national average is 15,000 pounds per person. Last year alone I used 31,000. YEAH HI! This is because I drive to Chicago so much. Take that test and let me know how you do.

To be fair, I must note that this movie does seem to be the launch of a campaign for Al Gore. There are some parts of it that seem very campaignish and get to know Al for the upcoming year. However it does not take away from the main point of this movie. If you have no idea what is happening to the environment, or you believe that nothing is going on, please at least go to this website, and see this movie. It will change your view on the earth, and hopefully the future.

3 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Mine is 10,900. That's what happens when you only drive 7,000 miles a year!

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Hmm Maybe you should come visit me more. Then you can get your number up!

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Michele said...

I got 11,400 . . .

Brian, how are ours so different? I mean, I know the miles are different since I drive like < 2 miles to work, but I put in that I take one long flight each year (which isn't always true, but I did last year).

Hmm . . . I don't get it.


On another note, I was just telling Brian that I was interested in going to see this movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home