Monday, November 21, 2005

Danger is my city's name!

Group ranks most dangerous U.S. cities

Let me tell you what pisses me off about this! According to this study I live in the 3rd most dangerous city in North America. Wow! That gets you media attention! But if you look closer at the study what this really tells you is that I live in a city with a population between 100,000-and 499,000 with the 3rd highest crime rate. But that would be no fun to just say that! We have to call the cities with high crime rates DANGEROUS!!! Let us go further into the numbers. Now when you think of Saint Louis do you think of only the city. When I think of Chicago I am not only thinking about the city, but the surrounding suburbs. But this study did not take that into account. The Saint Louis metro area has more than 5 million people living in it. The city only has a population of about 400,000. So that would mean that this study is only showing the crime rate of 8% of the Saint Louis Metro Area. YEAH HI

So I think that this company just wants to make a buck and uses a poor study to make the news. This group did not even visit the cities that they studied so how do they even know what dangerous a city actually is? I think that the employees of this company are to scared to leave there small town in Kansas and come to the big city.

Once again...I hate Kansas!

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granted, I am not a English major like some of your other esteemed readers, but shouldn't the title be Danger is my city's name?

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Richard said...

"Anonymous" has a point.

So do you, Jon. These studies are deeply misleading. On the other hand, I'd be careful inside the city limits if I were you!

It's worth noting that the cities on the list are heavily populated by people who are poor and black. Hmm...are they more or less likely to be arrested for a petty crime than a white person? Doesn't that impact the crime rate?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home